Score: Emerson 3, WPI 0
Records: Emerson Lions (11-4, 4-2 NEWMAC) ; Clark Cougars (8-8, 3-3 NEWMAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. (Brown & Plofker Gym)
Date: October 5th, 2019
The Lead: The Emerson Women's Volleyball Team Rattled off their fifth straight victory and fourth conference victory with a win over the WPI Engineers on Saturday behind 10 Kills from Freshman Jillian Kay (Capistrano Beach, Calif.)
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
Jillian Kay: 10 Kills, 2 Blocks, 1 Dig
Logan Steenbergen: 6 Kills, 6 Service Aces, 3 Digs
Caroline Bond: 31 Assists, 7 Kills, 9 Digs
Grace Tepper: 8 Kills, 11 Digs
Abbie Gilbert: 8 Kills, 10 Digs
Lilly Taylor: 20 Assists, 7 Digs
Colleen Mullins: 7 Kills, 9 Digs
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emerson jumped out to an early lead in the first set, taking the first six points, with Logan Steenbergen (Glenview, Ill.) going on a run of four straight service aces to open the match, forcing a timeout by the Engineers. The Lions continued to build on their lead, and kept the Engineers from making the set close. Emerson built their biggest lead of the set after a four point run headlined by two Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) kills to take a 21-9 lead. Emerson closed out the set 25-13 to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
- In the second set, WPI jumped out to the early lead, taking four of the first five points. The Lions rattled off five of the next six to take a 6-5 lead. The teams continued to trade points throughout the set, with WPI building a three point lead at 12-9 and the Lions building a four point lead at 20-16. Emerson took their lead to 24-19, before the Engineers took four straight points to take the set to 24-23. A service error by WPI gave the Lions a 25-23 victory and a 2-0 lead in the match.
- Once again in the third set, WPI took an early lead, this time at 6-2. The Engineers held their four point lead consistently throughout the set, until a 6-2 run by the Lions knotted the score at 15 apiece. The teams traded points to take the score to 18 all, before the Liosn went ona 7-2 run to close out the set on a kill by Tepper. The Lions took the victory 3-0.
- Emerson gets back in action on Tuesday when they travel to take on the Wheaton Lyons in a NEWMAC tilt starting at 7:00pm.
- WPI is off until next Saturday when they take part in a non-conference tri-match against Regis and Fitchburg state, hosted by the Engineers.